VETS assists veterans who have questions regarding Veterans’ Preference.

What can I expect?

  • Step 1

    Gather information to file your complaint:

    • Your name, address, and telephone number

    • Your uniformed service information, including the name of the unit, address, and phone number

    • The name, address, and telephone number of the employer (or employment agency or union) you want to file a complaint against

    • A detailed description of the events you believe were in violation of Veterans’ Preference (for example, you were fired, or not selected for a Federal position to which you applied)

    • When the events took place

    • Why you believe you were discriminated against

  • Step 2

    Decide how you want to file:

  • Step 3

    After you file your claim, a representative will work with the agency to resolve the complaint in a timely manner.

  • Step 4

    If your case cannot be resolved within 60 days, on the 61st day you may close your case with VETS and appeal to the Merit System Protection Board (MSPB).

    Alternatively, if you do not agree with (or accept) the results of VETS’ investigation, you have 15 days from when VETS informs you of the results to submit an appeal to the MSPB.

  • Step 5

    If the MSPB has not issued a decision within 120 days, you may seek judicial redress in a U.S. District Court.

    Alternatively, you may appeal the MSPB’s decision to a U.S. District Court after it has been issued.