Protection from retaliation for exercising rights
You are protected against retaliation for exercising your rights or the rights of other veterans or service members.
You have the right to file a complaint if you believe you have been discriminated against because of your service member or veteran status. You also have the right to file a complaint if your employer didn’t reemploy you, or properly reemploy you, after you returned from deployment. You can’t be retaliated against based on your attempt to enforce your rights or someone else’s rights as a veteran or service member. This means your employer may not take any adverse action against you because:
- you have participated in an investigation regarding a violation of rights as a veteran or service member, whether your own or someone else’s,
- you have spoken up at work about exercising rights as a veteran or service member, whether your own or someone else’s, or
- you have exercised your rights as a veteran or service member, such as reemployment.
This is regardless of whether the employer is a private employer, the Federal Government, a state government, a local government, or a covered Federal contractor or subcontractor.
Questions? We’re here to help.
We are committed to helping you understand your rights as a worker. If you have questions, you can contact the Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS) or the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP). VETS and OFCCP work together to answer questions and coordinate investigations of complaints. For additional assistance, please contact:
- VETS: 1-866-4-USA-DOL (TTY 1-877-889-5627) or your local VETS office
- OFCCP: 1-800-397-6251 (TTY 1-877-889-5627) or the OFCCP Help Desk
Learn about filing a complaint
We’ll help you decide what to do next and determine whether filing a complaint is the best course of action.
If you feel you have been discriminated against because of your status as a veteran or service member or because you have attempted to enforce your rights, or someone else’s rights, as a veteran or service member, you have the right to file a complaint and participate in an investigation without being retaliated against by an employer.File with VETS File with EEOC