Filing a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD)

What can I expect?

WHD enforces Federal minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and child labor requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Family and Medical Leave Act, among other Federal laws regarding pay.

Step 1

Gather information to file your complaint:

  • Your name, address, and telephone number

  • The name, address, and telephone number of the employer (or employment agency) you want to file a complaint against

  • The manager or owner’s name

  • A description of the type of work you did

  • When the events took place

  • How and when you were paid (such as cash or check, every Friday)

Step 2

Decide how you want to file:

  • Online

  • By phone at 1-866-487-9243

Step 3

Your complaint will get routed to the nearest field office, and they will contact you within two business days.

Step 4

We will work with you to answer your questions and determine whether an investigation is the best course of action.

Step 5

If an investigation is set up and finds sufficient evidence, you’ll receive a check for lost wages.

I wasn’t paid properly