Eligible employees of covered employers have the right to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.

If you are eligible, you are entitled to 12 workweeks of leave in a 12-month period:

  • for the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth
  • for adoption or foster care placement and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement
  • to care for your spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition
  • for a serious health condition that keeps you from performing the essential functions of your job
  • any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that your spouse, child, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty

If you are the spouse, child, parent, or next of kin of an ill or injured covered service member, you are entitled to 26 workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to provide care for the service member.

Questions? We’re here to help.

We are committed to helping you understand your rights as a worker. Many questions about wage rights may be answered by using the following elaws (Employment Laws Assistance for Workers and Small Businesses) Advisor:

For additional assistance, please contact:

  • The Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor: 1-866-4-US-WAGE (1-866-487-9243)
  • Your state Labor Office

All discussions with us, including complaints, are free and confidential. Your name and the nature of the complaint will not be disclosed to your employer. The only time we would share such information is when necessary to pursue an allegation, and we would only do so then with your permission, or if required by a court.

Learn about filing a complaint

We’ll help you decide what to do next, and determine whether filing a complaint is the best course of action.

Please note that it is illegal for your employer to fire, demote, harass, or otherwise retaliate against you for reporting an issue to the Labor Department.

File with WHD