You have the right to a safe and healthy workplace.
Under federal law, you are entitled to a safe and healthy workplace. Your employer must provide a workplace free of known health and safety hazards. If you have concerns about your workplace health and safety, you have the right to speak up about them without fear of retaliation.
We’re here to help.
We are committed to helping you understand your rights as a worker. Many questions about your rights may be answered by using the following elaws (Employment Laws Assistance for Workers and Small Businesses) Advisors:
For additional assistance, please contact:
All discussions between OSHA and employees or their representatives are free and confidential. Safety and health complaints from employees or their representatives are taken seriously by OSHA, and OSHA will keep their information confidential.
You have the right to:
- work on machines that are safe.
Children younger than 18 years old (younger than 16 in agricultural jobs) are prohibited from occupations that have been declared too hazardous for youth, particularly those that use machinery.
You also have the right to:
- be trained in a language you understand.
- be provided required personal protective equipment or PPE, such as gloves or a harness and lifeline for falls. See OSHA’s Employer Payment Guidelines for what type of equipment is covered.
- be protected from toxic chemicals.
- request an inspection from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and speak to the inspector.
- report a work-related injury or illness, and get copies of your medical records.
- see copies of the workplace injury and illness log.
- review records of work-related injuries and illnesses.
- get copies of test results done to find hazards in the workplace.
You have a right to a safe and healthy workplace regardless of your immigration status.
elaws Safety and Health Advisors
OSHA Training Standards Policy Statement Memo
OSHA Frequently Asked Questions: Trainings and Certifications
OSHA Resources on Worker Rights
OSHA Video on Workers’ Safety and Health Rights on the Job
Video de OSHA sobre Derechos de los Trabajadores