Filing a complaint with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP)
OFCCP holds those who do business with the Federal government—contractors and subcontractors—responsible for complying with the legal requirement to take affirmative action and not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. In addition, contractors and subcontractors are prohibited from discriminating against those who inquire about, discuss or disclose their compensation or that of others, subject to certain limitations.
Typically, you must file a complaint alleging discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or based on compensation inquiries, discussions, or disclosures, within 180 days from the date of the alleged discrimination, unless the time for filing is extended for good cause shown. If your complaint alleges a violation based on disability or status as a protected veteran, it must be filed within 300 days unless the time for filing is extended for good cause shown.
What can I expect?
Gather information to file your complaint:
- Your name, address, and telephone number
- The name, address, and telephone number of the employer (or employment agency or union) you want to file a complaint against
- The number of employees employed there (if known)
- A short description of the events you believe were discriminatory (for example, you were fired, demoted, harassed)
- When the events took place
- Why you believe you were discriminated against (such as your race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status)
Complete the form in the language you prefer: English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Haitian Creole, Hmong, Spanish or Vietnamese.
Decide how you want to file:
Electronically with the appropriate OFCCP regional office
By mailing or faxing the complaint form to the appropriate OFCCP regional office
In person with any OFCCP district or area office
By phone at 1–800–397–6251 (TTY 1–877–889–5627)
After you file your complaint, we’ll give you a copy of it with a complaint number. We’ll review your complaint and contact you if we need more information. If you haven’t already signed your complaint, OFCCP will ask you to do so.
We will work with you to answer your questions and determine whether to investigate the complaint.
When OFCCP investigates, it acts as a neutral fact finder. If OFCCP finds sufficient evidence of discrimination, you may be entitled to monetary relief or other remedies.